Monday, May 25, 2009

Extending Twitter


I've been thinking about Twitter even more since our class last week. When I get a few minutes this week, I'll have IT install TweetDeck on my laptop (I am not a "developer" so I am being saved from myself by the IT Gods).

My employer is actively using Twitter to address customer service issues, market, and improve our image (I can't get into details on some cool things we are doing). All the noise about Twitter got me thinking about the value of such a tool for corporate espionage.

I'm not advocating this. I'm wondering if Twitter will make it easier for the competition to sniff out new developments at other firms. Internally, what about people using Tweets as an electronic water cooler, chatting about work to whoever will listen?

It seems that efforts such as this will be high cost, low yield. Who to watch? Which tweets matter? Are people really foolish enough to Tweet w/o thought after Ketchum VP James Andrews' mea culpa Tweet in January? I've been hearing more office gossip lately; I don't expect that this stuff will show up online, whether Facebook, Twitter, or somewhere else.

In terms of corporate espionage, here's a recent story that is relatively low tech. What if someone hacks your email/Twitter account? The scenario is the same; the technology is just a little different.

1 comment:

  1. I think you might like the look of Google Wave (when it arrives) - which promises an integrated interafc for all these communications.

    ReplyDelete