Monday, July 1, 2013

The Crucible Weekend: Advice

Here is what I've learned about advice. Yes, you could say it is advice about advice.
The Crucible Project Advice
Isn't this the truth, most of the time?
  • Don't give it. If a man wants your advice, he'll ask for it.
  • Don't give it in the form of "Here's what I do when I'm in that situation..." This is really a case of me trying to fix the man, or waiting for my turn to talk. Think about it.
  • If it seems a man is looking for advice, I can ask him if that is the case.
    • If he is willing, advice can be more powerful in the form of questions, instead of telling. Example: "What do you think would happen if you asked for what you want?"
  • When a man trusts me, I may have permission to share with him the data of what I observe. If I'm able to do just that, without the drama & emotional vomiting most people bring, there is power in the purity & simplicity there.
    • If a man doesn't trust me, if he doesn't see that I care for him & his life, well...we're both better off if I keep my mouth shut.

2 comments:

  1. Had not really thought of "advice" in that way. I give (and receive) unsolicited advice (the proverbial.."well if you ask me I would....")often without asking if the person wants it or not. I have to think about this more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I catch myself doing these things, too. I've heard it said, "If you spot it, you've got it." That is true for me.

    ReplyDelete