Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Crucible Project: Cult or Not?


I’ve heard the question raised, “Is The Crucible Project a cult?”

I think this is a common question for men to ask. After all, the site is not awash with details regarding what goes on during the weekend, men are asked to keep confidential what happens, and there are things said on the internet which can be disconcerting. This is a pretty broad topic, so I’ll address in several posts.

Full disclosure: I’m not an expert on cults, and I’ve not been offered any remuneration by TCP leadership to write this post.

Before I get into the definition of cults and how they may/may not play out in TCP, I’d like to address the high level concerns listed above about what goes on in the weekend, and the issue of confidential information.
Crucible Project Cult? No.
Crucible Project:
Cult or Conspiracy?
Nope

What happens on the weekend?
The site and alumni are pretty vague about what happens on the weekend. Why? More black helicopters? No.

Part of the weekend is an initiation, which is experiential in nature. Even if I had the outline in hand before I went on the weekend, I would miss the context, flow, and rhythm of the weekend. There are times in my life when audible turn-by-turn guidance is what I want, and I can understand how mystery about the weekend can increase a man’s desire for step-by-step instructions. I’ve found introspection and adventure to be places where Tom-Tom doesn’t know the route. I want to use the cheat codes for my life, but that doesn’t help me learn what God has been trying to teach me. The best way for me to experience the weekend is to actually experience the weekend.


Crucible Project: Safe
Confidential vs. Secrecy     

Men who attend the weekend are asked to keep confidential what they see and hear. Confidential has several definitions; in this case it is about being entrusted with private affairs. Secrecy is something done without the knowledge of others. Strong friendships are built around trust: knowing each other well, including each other’s mistakes & failings. To share these confidential mistakes & failings with others is at least gossip, at worst betrayal.

Setting up the framework of “what happens here stays here” is important. It enables an atmosphere of “no shenanigans” (or “no BS”) that is as rare as it is essential. How many times this week did you suspect people were not being entirely truthful with you? Were their motivations or objectives secret (vs. confidential)? Do you trust them? Part of setting up an environment without these “shenanigans” is ensuring confidentiality: being entrusted with private affairs.

Can men talk at all about the weekend?
Crucible Project I got it not a cult
What did you
get on your
weekend?
Yes, they can. In fact, men are encouraged to share with others what they “got” on the weekend. The irony: some men are very interested in the step-by-step, when what is really important is the learning, insight, revelation (e.g. “I got it!”) that happens along the way. Talking about what I uncovered about myself is risky, because it can be messy or involve a level of trust I don’t have with everyone. It is also authentic.

On my TCP weekend, I did some powerful grief work. My Dad died when I was 12. I loved him very much. I wasn’t quite to the age when boys pull away from their Dads & start carving out their own identity, so our relationship had very little conflict. Among the things I “got” on my weekend: a renewed appreciation for my kids, a heartfelt love for them, and a drive to experience more joy with them. There are more things I “got”, things more confidential than a blog post anyone can read. And if you ask the guys who were there, you’ll get a knowing look that comes from shared experience, and how that touched their lives. And because they understand “confidential”, you won’t get the details of what else happened that weekend. That's not because of a conspiracy, or a cult. It is because those are shared experiences are private.

4 comments:

  1. I have been to an intial weekend,staffed six events,and moving on to the next level. Absolutely not a cult and is Christ centered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just attended an initial weekend event with the Crucible Project and I can attest to the fact that it is NOT a cult of any kind. It is a very Jesus focused weekend where men have a safe place to deal with issues and find healing. It is secretive in the same way a surprise birthday party is secret. There is a 'secret' so the person who is the subject of the birthday party will have a greatest experience possible. The Crucible weekend is best entered into without knowing all the details...it just makes for a significantly better experience. I'm a Pastor and long time Christ follower, Crucible project is a great thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. I'm happy you got what you came for last weekend, and love the analogy of a surprise birthday party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope... not a cult at all. I am just finished with the 2 year program. In fact I had my last coaching call a few days ago. We compared the notes around my mindset about things in my life when I started and where I am at today. What a measurable difference it is. I have much more confidence in myself, my relationships with my wife and especially my siblings are so much better. The time I spend alone with God and the trust I have in Him has greatly improved. This was THE BEST investment of time, energy and money ever! Thank you to Greg, Judson, John, Chris, Scott, Robert, Bill and all the others that journeyed with me. Can not say enough great things about The Crucible Project!

    ReplyDelete